Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tea on Tuesday: Christmas Fudge

Hello friends,

I hope you are having a wonderful Tuesday! And if your weather is anything like mine, I hope you are keeping warm. A nice cuppa tea would be grand right now.

I remember my mother used to make peanut butter fudge every Christmas and she used to set it out in these pretty silver scalloped "shell-shaped" dishes. I wonder what ever happened to those dishes? Well, one year I particularly remember well because I got into major trouble--my mother thought I had eaten all the fudge she set out! I told her I didn't eat it, but she punished me anyhow. Later, after she had put more fudge out, she walked back into the room and saw our dog standing up on his hind legs, eating it right out of the dish off the table! Ha, I still laugh everytime I think about peanut butter fudge. I have to include a recipe for that, of course!

I hope your Christmas shopping is done and you are enjoying the holidays!



SIMPLY FUDGE

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 5-ounce can (2/3 cup) evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
2 cups tiny marshmallows
1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces or chopped bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.

2. Butter the sides of a 2-quart heavy saucepan. In saucepan combine sugar, evaporated milk, and butter. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils (about 10 minutes). Reduce heat to medium; continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 6 minutes.

3. Remove saucepan from heat. Add marshmallows, chocolate pieces, walnuts, and vanilla; stir until marshmallows and chocolate melt and mixture is combined. Beat by hand for 1 minute.

4. Spread fudge evenly in the prepared pan. Score into squares while warm. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours or until firm. When fudge is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Cut fudge into squares.

Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Makes about 2 pounds (64 pieces).



EASY PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

Ingredients:

No-Stick Cooking Spray
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup PET® Evaporated Milk
1 2/3 cups Jif® Creamy Reduced Fat Peanut Spread
1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
LINE a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with aluminum foil; spray with a no-stick cooking spray.

COMBINE sugar, butter and milk in large saucepan, stirring constantly on medium heat, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

ADD peanut butter. Stir until well blended. Add marshmallow creme and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Spread in prepared pan. Cool.

CUT into candy-sized pieces. Store in covered container.

~~both recipes and photos from bhg.com~~

No comments: